|Baghdad pact. Unified Military Command Seen, 1958/01/30|
(1) Dulles arrives in Ankara for Baghdad alliance meeting, bombs set off, scenes of meeting as "US pledges $10 million for new communications system" - mideast (2) Cape Canaveral - new tracking camera 15 miles away tracks launching of Thor rocket, "a far-seeing eye to match the power of our rockets" (partial newsreel).
Downloads: 3,910 (2 reviews)
|The Red Threat. President Orders Cuban Blockade, 1962/10/22|
JFK speaks on Cuban Missile Crisis - "Soviet military buildup on the island of Cuba" - "a strict quarantine on all offensive military equipment has been initiated" - "clandestine, reckless" - JFK had meeting with Gromyko (partial newsreel)
|Politics and Food. U.S. Feeds Dominicans, Power Struggle On, 1965/05/10|
Uneasy truce in effect, struggle between rebels and military junta; Colonel Cabano trained in US; food distributed by troops (partial newsreel)
|U.S. Breaks Relations With Cuba, 1961/01/05|
(1) Castro military parade in Cuba to mark his 2nd anniversary; Ike broke off diplomatic relations; Hagerty speaks (2) "Threat To Peace. World Watches Crisis In Laos" - fighting intensifies in buffer state Laos, government troops oust rebels (partial newsreel)
|Pres. Roosevelt Urges National Unity, 1938/11/07|
"Hyde Park, NY: Pres. Roosevelt, in a vigorous speech on the eve of elections, warns the nation that in these troubled times, democracy must be a positive force in order to maintain liberty against military aggression abroad." sound of FDR speaking. (partial newsreel)
|Eve of Battle, 1944/06/06|
Eve of Battle "Universal Newsreel, in full co-operation with the War Department, presents official pictures of the final military preparations for the launching of D-Day. A host of nations engage in the huge task. The invasion, in truth, is a United Nation's effort." (complete newsreel)
Downloads: 69,352 (1 review)
|Solons Visit Front,1944/12/29|
(1) "Members of the Military Affairs Committee, including Clare Booth Luce, visit various fronts where our troops are engaged. And General Patton shows them part of his remarkable army, in action." (2) Blackout Gear Trains Air Pilots - "The Franks 'Blackout Suit' for airmen is demonstrated on a centrifuge machine at the University of Toronto. The liquid chambers within the suit counteracts the centrifugal pressure which a pilot encounters when diving and twisting in combat action." (3) Fashions ...
|Biggest Bomber, 1946/08/15|
(1) "Fort Worth TX: Newest bombing plane stands five stories high, has a range of 10,000 miles with 30 tons of bombs. it is test flown with results 'beyond expectations.'" scenes of the first flight on August 8 of the Convair B-36 'Peacemaker,' the largest Air Force bomber. (2) Brazil Honors Ike - "Rio De Janeiro: Climaxing a triumphal visit to Brazil, General Eisenhower visits Brazil's military academy and reviews its crack corps of cadets." (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 3,608 (1 review)
|Army Digs In for Defense of Arctic, 1956/02/27|
1) Fort Greely Alaska - Operation Moosehorn - combat teams on skiis - supplies parachuted to ground troops - tents during blowing snow (2) Ambassador John Lodge to Spain with military equipment sent to Spain at Cartegena "tanks for bases to bar the spread of Red aggression" (3) Billy Graham to Japan (4) train accident (5) Yuba City CA celebrates Christmas in February, was postponed by flood (6) Fashions inspired by film Benny Goodman Story (7) sports: Austrian ski championship (8) stock car race...
Downloads: 2,604 (1 review)
|Egypt Accepts United Nations Cease-Fire, 1967/06/09|
(1) Mideast war - Israeli tanks drive across Sinai, capture West Bank and old Jerusalem; Moshe Dayan led battle plan; Arthur Goldberg introduces peace plan in Un in New York City, Abba Eban blamed Nasser, cease-fire resolution adopted, short by decisive mideast war to be followed by diplomatic struggle (2) Nigeria vs Biafra in Africa, even women volunteer for military service (3) New York bank sells state lottery tickets (4) Navy Skyhawk jet attacks North Vietnam from carrier Kitty Hawk (5) prot...
|The Arsenal For D-Day, 1944/05/08|
(1) The Arsenal For D-Day "Equipment for Invasion In a U.S.A. port we see the materials of war being feverishly loaded into vessels. Planes are lifted to the decks of bulging ships, ships that are loaded to the water line with freight for the invasion. Slowly, then, the ships converge, to set sail in convoy. In Bratain we come upon acres and acres of piled up materiel and equipment, for the invasion armies on the Second Front...
Downloads: 3,951 (1 review)
|Special Release - The Coronation of King George VI, 1937/05/18|
"SEE the Archbishop Place the Crown Upon the Monarch's Head! Tremendous Throngs at World's Greatest Pageant! Britain's Peers in Glamorous Array! Premiers of the World-Wide Empire! The Members of the Royal Family! The Gilded Coach of State in its Triumphal Procession! The Galaxy of Glittering Military Uniforms in the Big Parade! Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, and Famed Landmarks! The Whole Glorious Ceremony! SEE the Actual Rites in the Historic Westminster Abbey! The Terrific National Enth...
|Nazis War On Russia, 1941/06/23|
(1) German Invasion of Russia - "The war's most amazing about-face! Nazi Germany and Red Russia, partners in crime for the Polish campaign, are engaged in a life-and-death struggle along 2,000 miles of frontier. Millions of men and thousands of tanks and planes lock forces in what may well be the turning point of the war. " scenes include stock pictures of Russian farms, military, tanks, Molotov and Japan sign treaty (some sound) (2) "Washington, DC: The Russian envoy, Ambassador Oumansky, prese...
|Victorious Generals Welcomed, 1945/06/11|
(1) "Los Angeles: An estimated 2,000,000 Southern Californians wildly cheer General George S. Patton, Jr., and Lt. General Jimmy Doolittle as they pass in triumphant parade. General Doolittle makes an impassioned speech in which he asks the 'home team to continue supplying the goods to the field team' to assure an early victory over Japan." scenes of Patton, Doolittle greeted by 2 million in parade (2) Air Blows Hit Japs On All Fronts - "Strategic bombing comes to the Orient...
Downloads: 5,468 (1 review)
|Funeral Pyres of Nazidom, 1945/05/10|
(1) "Air views of Leipzig reveal it to be a city of skeleton buildings and rubble. Industrial Magdeburg has been gutted by dive bombers of the U.S. Tactical Air Forces. The huge Krupp tank factory is destroyed as are hundreds of partially finished tanks on the assembly line. The rail center, Nuremberg, once the seat of Nazi culture, is now a dead city. The huge rallying stadium serves as a parade ground for Yank troops who blast a surmounting stone swastika to bits - then replace it with the Sta...
|All Nations Shaken By War Crisis, 1938/09/19|
"Washington, DC: In the face of a possible new world conflict abroad, Pres. Roosevelt summons his cabinet officers for a conference on the European crisis. (2) Paris, France: Premier Daladier and Foreign Minister Bonnet fly to London, where they and Prime Minister Chamberlain move to exert pressure on Czechoslovakia to grant Hitler's demands of Sudeten territory annexation. (3) England: Braemer, Scotland, King George cuts short a visit at the colorful Scottish games to rush home for conference w...
Downloads: 4,333 (1 review)
|Eire Cut Off By Allies, 1944/04/06|
(1) "Lest secret information of the Allied moves be smuggled into neutral Eire by Axis agents, Yank and British patrols are on the double alert on the border of North Ireland, Ulster and Eire. The innocent native folk cheerfully produce their identifications, amid the rustic beauty of their quiet countryside." (2) Bombs fail to crack Cassino "2,500 Tons of Bombs on Cassino (These historic pictures will be studied by military students for generations to come) Stubborn Germans are so strongly entr...
|Russians In New Drive, 1944/12/22|
(1) Russians In New Drive - "The mighty Russian military machine lays siege to Vilna, capital of Lithuania. After five days of intensive fighting, incuding a cleanout of nests of snipers, the city is occupied. 5,000 Nazis are killed and 8,000 taken prisoner." (2) RAF Blasts Nazi Ships - "Norway, R.A.F. Mosquitos and British Beau-fighters dive from mile high levels to set enemy ships on fire with gun and cannon fire, and rockets." (3) Leyte School Reopened - "Private, public and parochial schools...
|Universal Newsreel Volume 35, Release 75, 09/13/1962 - Universal|
National Archives description: "The original release sheet reads: KENNEDY TOUR: CALLS FOR U.S. LEAD IN SPACE: The President tours four Space installations: Huntsville, Alabama; Cape Canaveral, Fla.; the Houston Manned Space Center and the McDonnell plant in St. Louis. He inspects our Space progress and gets highly classified reports on how far we've gone. In Houston he calls for backing in our Space effort, saying we cannot afford to lag if we want to be in the forefront of nations...
Keywords: Newsreel; Fashion; Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963; Project Mercury (U.S.); Manned Spacecraft Center (U.S.); McDonnell Douglas Astronautics Company-St. Louis; Nanking Massacre, Nanjing, Jiangsu Sheng, China, 1937; Sino-Japanese War, 1937-1945 -- China -- Nanjing Shi; World War, 1939-19455 -- China; George C. Marshall Space Flight Center; John F. Kennedy Space Center; Space Race; Schirra, Wally; Von Braun, Wernher, 1912-1977; Phantom II (Jet fighter plane); United States. -- Marine Corps -- Marines, 6th -- History; China Marines; USS Chaumont; USS Chaumont (AP-5)
|Allies Fight Fierce Nazi Counter-Blow,1944/12/20|
(1) "Events within Germany leading to the present 'power drive' in the West, shown in captured German newsreels. Theaters are shut down, women are drafted for war work, trolleys tow trucks to save gasoline, robot bombs are launched, and at the front, the Nazi military carries on despite the appearance of American air fleets. Allied cameras show Yank heavy artillery in action, Nazi prisoners are collared, near St...
Downloads: 9,125 (4 reviews)
|Life-Line To China Re-Opened, 1945/02/12|
(1) "Ledo Road ('Pick's Pike') Opens - After many had failed on the Ledo Road project, the task was assigned to Brig. Gen. L. A. Pike, Corps of Engineers, U.S. Army. He constructed the 478 mile road, through mountain junbles, across swamps, spanning 400 streams or rivers and solving every conceivable kind of engineering problem. "The first convoy, made up of 100 trucks, loaded with supplies for China, sets out, with Gen...
|1944/02/17, Battle for Rome|
(1) Battle for Rome - "While action see-saws at the Italian Front, hordes of Germans are shown marching in one direction, to our rear. They are prisoners of the Yanks and of the French. Nor is their stubbornness diminished by the sight of numerous German dead." (2) Nazis Wreck Warehouse - "Nazi bombers set off a fire which consumes one of our warehouses in Italy. In a tight squeeze, a truck full of G.I...
Downloads: 3,404 (1 review)
|Allies Sign Control Law For Germany,1945/06/14|
(1) "The Allied Control Commission for the conduct of affairs in civil Germany is brought into being by the military signatories for hte four powers who will administer the quadruple occupation of Germany. General Eisenhower signs for the United States, Marshal Montgomery for the British, Marshal Zhukov for the Soviets and General de Tassigny for France." scenes of agreement signed at Zhukov's headquarters in Berlin (2) GI's Tour Hitler's Headquarters - "Thousands of vacationing G.I.'s swarm ove...
Downloads: 3,304 (1 review)
|MacArthur in Battle, 1944/03/13|
(1) "General Douglas MacArthur, after 19 months of creeping warfare, is seen on the bridge of a plunging flagship, heading into one of the boldest moves of his South Pacific campaign. And a new type of landing operation is up for trial dependence is to be placed on surprise, rather than on pulverizing naval bombardment. Los Negros Island, in the Admiralties, is sighted, and the 5-inch guns of Uncle Sam's destroyers bark into action...
|Air Defenses, 1955/08/18|
(1) radar scanners, Chicago Nike base, ocean radar earling warning Texas tower 100 miles off east coast being constructed (2) more violence in South Korea, tear gas (3) 5000 Indians march against Portuguese at Goa, guards fire guns killing 22 (4) helicopter school in Italy for Alps rescues (5) dog given medal for saving life of his master (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 5,022 (2 reviews)
|Fight Rages On Wallace Appointment,1945/01/25|
Appointment (1) debate over Henry Wallace; (2) WAC Medical Units Needed; (3) Personalities in the News, Maj. Gen. Weidermeier, Maj. Gen. Patrick Hurley and Chiang Kai Shek, Anthony Eden, Churchill; (4) Fire Damages Naval Piers; in Norfolk VA (5) Streamlined Gravy Train; universal feeder for hungry babies in Mass.(6) New Buzz Bomb Gets 1st Test; inspected by H. Ford II. (complete newsreel)
Downloads: 1,065 (1 review)
|America Not Secure Against Brute Force Says Cordell Hull, 1940/05/15|
"Washington, DC: Cordell Hull, Secretary of State, warns Americans to re-arm, to prepare against the threat of 'brute force'! Meanwhile, Gen. John J. Pershing, head of our Army during the World War, returns to lend his weight to speeding defense measures." (sound of Hull speaking) (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 989 (1 review)
|Press Parley. Ike Urges Caution on Seizure of Suez, 1956/08/09|
1) Ike press conference on Suez crisis urges "this very serious difficulty will be settled by peaceful means" in Mideast (2) scout jamboree in Japan, crown prince Akahito (3) teenage car rode-e-o must pass driving tests (4) search for oil in Colombia, 72 drilling concessions have been granted to American companies (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 1,196 (1 review)
|Big Da-Dit-Da Class Graduated At New Naval Radio School (exclusive), 1941/03/06|
"Noroton, CT: Several hundred enlisted men complete a course in radio engineering at the U.S. Navy school here and graduate as radio operators. Listen to them as they learn their 'Da-Dit-Das'." includes some sound of Morse code. (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 5,413 (2 reviews)
|Berlin Siege. Gen. Clay Returns To Report On Red Crisis, 1948/07/22|
(1) The World Crisis - "Berlin: While the Western Allies increase their aerial shuttle into Berlin, Russia's refusal to negotiate leaves issue in doubt. The threat of a show-down brings the world close to war. East Anglia: Landing on fields used by our 8th Air Force during the war, sixty Superforts arrive on training mission. Berlin crisis lends significance to huge bombers' arrival. Washington: Gen...
Downloads: 2,752 (1 review)
|Reds Withdraw. Cut Down Troops in East Germany, 1956/06/25|
(1) Red forces withdraw from East Germany, "but a Red iron fist still remains poised over East Germany" (2) "Egyptian Might. Parade Arsenal of Red Weapons" - parade in celebration of withdrawal of British troops from Suez in Mideast (3) heat protecting suit invented in New York (4) preview at Booklyn navy yard of film Away All Boats (5) For Men Only by Bert Bachrach (6) child does golf tricks (complete newsreel)
Downloads: 1,940 (1 review)
|Armed Forces display U.S. Might On Observance Day, 1956/05/21|
1) Armed Forces Day at AFB in Michigan features new Redstone missile; Scorpion attack plane fires rockets at old B-17 in Florida; crash landing of jet on USS Essex, pilot rescued by helicopter (2) "France Digs In for Total Algerian War" - 400,000 French troops pinned down by guerilla attacks - armed depots dot Algeria landscape (3) 4 survivng Dionne quints open flower shop in Ottawa (4) hospital workers carry small pagers (5) Preakness horse race won by Fabius, not Needles who had won Kentucky D...
Downloads: 3,661 (3 reviews)
|'Dead' A-Bomb Hits U.S. Town, 1958/03/13|
(1) B-47 a-bomb fell on house in SC, first such accident (2) Los Angeles - automatic control of machine tool production line, using punched tape, developed by Hughes Aircraft Company (partial newsreel).
Downloads: 32,397 (14 reviews)
|Norman Alley's Bombing of USS Panay Special Issue, 1937/12/12|
(1) Reel 1 - "Nanking" (2) Reel 2 - "Uncensored!!! Unedited!!! The U.S.S. Panay Bombing in its entirey - exactly as photographed!" (this newsreel special is 22 minutes long, with music and narration)
Downloads: 14,597 (3 reviews)
|Cyprus Riots, 1956/05/31|
(1) Greeks and girls riot against British soldiers in Cyprus (3) new F-100 jets for U.S. squadrons in Germany (3) F-102A jet tests Falcon missile over New Mexico, "fired unerringly to target by electronics" (4) Venezuela builds largest earthen dam in South America (5 ) snow in Chinook pass cleared for highway 410 (6) Army amphibious truck tested in Monterey CA (7) DeSoto pace car for Indy 500 car race, won by Pat Flaherty (complete newsreel)
Downloads: 4,820 (1 review)